Red rock formations, Indian petroglyphs, a stone arch, and dinosaur footprints! (3 Hours)
The Red Canyon tour meanders through red towering spires and monoliths sculpted by the erosion of the fountain formation, a layer of sedimentary rock made famous by Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs.
You’ll visit the Garden Park Fossil Area famous for the excavation of many complete dinosaur skeletons, such as the Stegosaurus currently on display at the Smithsonian and a Brontosaurus on display at Wagner Free Institute of Philadelphia. It is also the site of the late 1870’s “Bone Wars”.
The 4×4 trail climbs from the desert valley floor, through groves of junipers and cedars, with picturesque views at every turn. A very short hike allows you to stretch your legs and get a view through Overlook Arch spanning high above Shaw Park. Then back to the jeep to study dinosaur tracks, Indian petroglyphs and more awe-inspiring views. It is not uncommon to see wildlife such as mule deer, turkeys and an occasional bear throughout the tour.
(P.S. If you love dinosaurs, and want to learn more about the history of Canon City and the Royal Gorge, don’t forget to stop by the Royal Gorge Regional Museum & History Center before or after your jeep tour. Admission is free!)
- Availability: 365 days/year
- Departure: 8:30am & 1:00pm daily
- Elevation: 5,300 feet to 6,700 feet
- Length: Approximately 3 hours
- Ages: All ages (If a child requires a booster seat, customer must bring one)
- Dogs Allowed: Usually. Restrictions apply. See the FAQs or call for details.
- Upgrade Available: Wine tasting at Holy Cross Abbey $30/pp (Child $15 with juice) After the tour.
Red Canyon Half Day Tour (3 Hours):
Adult $69 | Child 12 and under $59Book Now!
Want to propose? Contact us about private tours to romantic, secluded spots in the beautiful Red Canyon… just for two.